Opening of the virtual branch of the Russian Museum in the Centre of Russian Studies at the KU Leuven in Belgium
On 8 October 2012 the opening of the virtual branch of the Russian Museum in the Centre of Russian Studies at the KU Leuven (Catholic University) in Belgium will take place.
This event has become possible thanks to the fruitful cultural collaboration between the Russian Museum, Museum M Leuven and the Centre for Russian Studies at the KU Leuven. This collaboration has been successful thanks to the support of the Embassy of Russian Federation in Kingdom of Belgium, the Russian Centre of science and culture in Brussels and the Russkiy Mir Foundation. The official opening will take place in the Central University Library. Among the honoured guests will be the mayor of Leuven, representatives of the Embassy of Russian Federation in the Kingdom of Belgium, the director of the Russian Centre of science and culture, the president of the Museum M, the rector of KU Leuven and others.
The opening of the virtual branch takes place within the framework of the International Conference held by M Museum with participation of the representatives of the Russian Museum and art museums of Russia. The Conference is devoted to the influence of digital technology and Internet application on educational activities of a museum. The multimedia programs on history of Russian art from the Mediateka of the project “The Russian Museum: the Virtual Branch” will be installed in M museum to be explored by the visitors. Later on the virtual branch will be open on a permanent base at the Centre for Russian Studies at KU Leuven.
The virtual Branch in Leuven will be the second branch of the Russian Museum in Belgium. The first one was open on the base of the Russian Centre in UMons (University of Mons).
KU Leuven - the oldest university in Europe – was founded in 1425 by Pope Martin V. In the sixteenth century the humanist Desiderius Erasmus lectured here. He founded the Collegium Trilingue in 1517 for the study of Hebrew, Latin, and Greek - the first of its kind. The University is located in Flanders, a northern part of Belgium where the Dutch language is dominant. At present more than 31 thousand students are learning, among them 12 % are foreign students. There are 14 faculties and 50 departments. The university is among the top ten European Universities. Leuven is a university town with a unique atmosphere – university and town – are closely interconnected.
M Museum was opened to the public in September 2009. The museum houses a new building designed by the renowned Belgium architect Stephane Beel. The building is integrated into the existing older surroundings. The permanent collection of the museum consists of 2 parts – late Gothic painting and sculpture and 19th century painting and sculpture. Meanwhile M Museum exhibits actively contemporary art.